NAMI Family-to-Family is a class for families, partners and friends of individuals 18 years or older living with a mental health condition. The course is designed to facilitate a better understanding of a condition, increase coping skills and empower participants to become advocates for their family members. This program was designated as an evidence-based program by SAMHSA, a federal agency. A nationally-developed program taught by trained volunteers who have lived experience with serious mental health conditions. Duration is 12 weeks. Cost is Free.
Course topics include:
- Family response to trauma
- Diagnosis & dealing with critical periods
- The biology of the brain; emerging scientific discoveries
- Problem solving workshop
- Medication review
- Understanding the inner experience of living w/ mental illness
- Communications skills workshop
- Rehabilitation; services available
- Advocacy: fighting stigma
- Celebration & certification ceremony
This is an adaptation of NAMI Family-to-Family class designed for active duty and veteran service member families. NAMI and the Veterans Administration have a Memorandum of Understanding to offer this education class at no cost to family members and caregivers of an adult loved one living with a serious mental health condition.
- Manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Learn to care for yourself, including managing your stress
- Develop the confidence and stamina to support your family member with compassion
- Identify and access federal, state and local services
- Stay informed on the latest research and information on mental health, including posttraumatic stress disorder and substance abuse
- Understand current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Navigate the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on the entire family
NEW – a cooperative agency group from the Rock Island Arsenal, Veterans Administration, UnityPoint and other community resources has developed this database for active duty and veterans’ assistance.