We’re so glad you’re here and we would love to help. We offer a variety of mental health support groups and finding the right one for you is simple:
- Are you a family member of an adult living with a mental health condition?
- Are you a caregiver or parent of a youth living with a mental health condition?
- Are you an adult living with a mental health condition?
We invite you to attend those that fit your needs. If you’re still not sure which support group is right for you or have any other questions, please contact us.
NAMI Family Support Groups
For Families of Adults Living with a Mental Health Condition
Friends and family members of an adult living with mental illness are invited to attend this support group. Support group facilitators Deb Frick, Tami Bogosian and Kelly Heilig have lived experience with adults.
Session lasts 60 minutes and is held the 3rd Thursday evening of each month. Please check the calendar of events for details. As always, participation is confidential and there is no cost to attend.
For Caregivers of Youth Living with a Mental Health Condition
This a specialized NAMI Family Support Group for caregivers of youth living with or exhibiting symptoms of a mental health condition. Parents, foster parents, grandparents and other direct caregivers are welcome to attend. The group is currently being revamped with plans to start back up in 2023. We would love to talk with you now – if you would like a return call from one of our volunteers, please call the office to leave your name and number (M-F 10-2 @ 563-386-7477 Ext. 266).
NAMI Connection Peer Recovery Support Group
For Adults Living with a Mental Health Condition
This adults-only group is called the NAMI Connection Peer Recovery Support Group. All adults (18+) living with or experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition are welcome to attend. CANCELLED FOR DECEMBER.
Sessions last 60 minutes. The group meets in person on the 4th Monday of each month from 6:30 p.m. at Butterworth Center’s Craft Room – Lower Level, 1105 8th St., Moline, Ill. 61265. As always, participation is confidential and there is no cost to attend. Walk-ins welcome.
What You’ll Gain
Aligning with our “You Are Not Alone” campaign, we combine group sharing, empathy, productive discussion and a sense of community. We also invite humor where appropriate as laughter is sometimes the best medicine!
All NAMI Greater Mississippi Valley mental health support groups aim to help you:
- See the individual first, not the condition
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that have environmental triggers and they are the fault of no one
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone’s pain
- Forgive ourselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that not every problem can be solved
For further information or questions about our mental health support groups serving eastern Iowa and western Illinois, please call the NAMI office at 563-386-7477 Ext. 266 (M-F 10-2).